The research and discoveries made by the WTAP team are only made possible because of the hard work, dedication, and professionalism of our field support team. Members of our support team come from Turkana but also from Nairobi, Machakos and other parts of Kenya. Many of them have returned to work with the WTAP every summer for more than a decade.
As well as being trained as expert excavators, our support team undertakes a wide range of essential roles that help keep our field camp running for more than a month in the middle of nowhere, including:
- preparing 3 meals a day (for all 40+ team members!)
- storing and treating drinking water
- set-up of camp infrastructure (tents, showers, solar power etc)
- mending camp equipment and excavation tools
- refuelling, maintaining and fixing project vehicles
- ensuring camp security.